Your Cart is empty
One of the best things about summers is amazing BBQ's packed with tasty seasoned meat, yummy sides and great company. Unfortunately, a lot of the commercial salad dressings and side dishes are packed with hidden sugars and carbs that make maintaining ketosis a real challenge.
Enter, one of our favorite side dishes - Blue Cheese Coleslaw! This creamy, low-carb and popular side is sure to be a hit. It can be added to burgers, worked into a salad, or eaten alone. Plus, this blue cheese coleslaw recipe so easy to prepare and should only take 5 minutes to put together.
- 6 Tbsp thick blue cheese dressing - check for a low carb, high-fat version
- 2-3 Tbsp low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 large head green cabbage, thinly sliced and then chopped
- 1/2 large head red cabbage, thinly sliced and then chopped
- 1/2 cup thickly sliced green onion
- 2 tsp. celery seed
- Salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4-1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese (totally optional but good if you're a blue cheese lover)
- Mix together the blue cheese dressing and buttermilk until it's the thickness you prefer.
- Thickly slice green onions until you have about 1/2 cup sliced green onion.
- Cut all the cabbage into thin strips; then coarsely chop
- Mix the chopped green cabbage, chopped red cabbage, and sliced green onion in a large bowl and then stir in the desired amount of dressing.
- Add the celery seed, crumbled blue cheese (if using), and salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. Serve right away.
We recommend only mixing dressing on the amount you will be eating at any time. Store the dressing mixture and cabbage/green onion mixture separately in the fridge and combine and season the salad right before you eat the leftovers.
Thanks, Kalyn's Kitchen for this keto coleslaw recipe!